The Rockville City Police Department Ride Along Program is designed to help educate the community about what the police department does daily, and to help residents become familiar with the officers and the department.The program is intended to develop partnerships with the community through interaction. The Ride-Along Program is designed to foster a better understanding of the challenges, hazards and rewards of being a police officer in the Rockville community.
If you are interested in applying for a ride along, please download and print the application and return the form to Lt. A. Crawford or mail to:
Rockville City Police Department
Field Services Bureau c/o Lt. Crawford
2 W. Montgomery Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850
To be considered for the Ride Along Program, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- The Chief of Police, or his designee, may make an exception to age requirement if the parent or legal guardian of a minor submits a request in writing.
- Complete and submit a ride along application at least 48 hours in advance
- Be willing to submit to a records check through the National Criminal Justice Information Center (NCIC)
- Be willing to comply with the program rules and guidelines (outlined below)
- Must not have participated in a City of Rockville Ride Along for the past six months
Program Rules and Guidelines
- Arrange for transportation to and from the Rockville City Police Station.
- Wear the issued identification badge during the Ride Along.
- In order to comply with department policies and procedures, you must utilize the safety belts and safety equipment in the police vehicle.
- You will not be able to photograph, videotape or tape-record any portion of the ride-along.
- Certain police calls are considered inherently dangerous and your police partner may respond to the call after dropping you off at a safe place. Follow the procedure outlined by your police partner and wait for a police vehicle to pick you up.
- You are encouraged to ask questions about police work.
- Do not interfere in any way with the officers handling of a situation. You may ask questions concerning a specific assignment after it has been completed and you have left the scene.
- You may observe an event on your ride-along that may require your appearance in court as a witness.
- A waiver of liability form is to be executed by you, or in case of a minor, by a parent or a guardian, prior to the ride-along. In essence, it releases the City of Rockville Police Department and the City of Rockville from any liability.
- Wear neat, clean, appropriate clothing. Shorts, sweat suits or jogging suits, tank tops, halter-tops or clothing that is torn, soiled or displays offensive language or symbols will not be allowed.