Explore RockvilleHow Do I?
Click to Home
Go To Search
Rockville Connect
Yard Waste
Storm Debris Collection:
The City will collect storm-related yard waste/brush from the curb. It is not necessary to schedule a special collection. Place piles in unobstructed areas until they are collected. It may take several weeks for crews to collect all storm-related yard waste throughout the city.

Rockville provides once-per-week curbside yard waste collection. 
  • We do not accept any yard waste items in plastic bags.
  • Place your yard waste in biodegradable paper lawn bags or 32-gallon trash cans (weight must be 50 pounds or less).
  • Paper lawn bags are available for sale at most grocery, hardware and home improvement stores.
  • Branches do not need to be bundled or tied. 
  • Place branches and sections of trees at the curb in an unobstructed area.
 Paper yard waste bag and branches

  • Bamboo
  • Branches, shrubs and pruning debris
  • Flowers (remove dirt)
  • Garden waste 
  • Grass clippings 
  • Leaves 
  • Live holiday trees and wreaths (remove metal
    base stands, nails and decorations, no plastic bags
  • Old mulch 
  • Stumps, sections of trees (individual limbs not to exceed 2 feet in diameter or 8 feet in length
  • Weeds (remove dirt
  • Hay/Straw
  • No dirt, rocks, sod (Place in Refuse cart)
  • No debris in plastic bags
  • No pumpkins/tree fruit (Place in Refuse cart)

*Large trees and piles
of branches require special equipment.
Place items at the front public
curb, not in alleyways.

Seasonal Leaf Collection
Leaf vacuuming occurs during the first two weeks of April and between October and December. Rake leaves to the street curb. Remove limbs, rocks and other heavy objects. Read Rockville Reports, watch Rockville Channel 11, or visit check your specific collection dates. After these dates, leaves may still be set out in paper lawn bags or 32-gallon trash cans with yard waste on collection day.

Yard Waste and Composting Tips
  • Free wood and wood chips are available at the City's Maintenance Facility (14625 Rothgeb Drive) for residents to cut and haul away.
  • Yard waste collected from residents is converted into yard mulch that is available free of charge at Montgomery County's Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station. As this mulch is spread throughout the County, please refrain from recycling pest infested yard waste and common invasive species (excluding bamboo).
  • Residents are also encouraged to use alternative methods for getting rid of leaves to save collection and disposal costs and to help the environment. Some alternatives are to mulch your leaves or compost them. Free compost bins and composting instructions are available to Montgomery County residents and businesses.

Recycling and Refuse
questions, concerns, request a cart, report missed collections or schedule a special collection

Ph: 240-314-8568
Ph (TDD): 240-314-8137

Monday - Thursday
7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Animal Control
Removal of dead animals
Ph: 240-314-8930

City Police
Explosives and ammunition
Ph: 240-314-8900