Branches and Yard Waste
Rockville provides weekly yard waste collections.
Trees and other brush larger than 8 feet long and 2 feet in diameter must be scheduled for pickup.
Tips for Collection:
- Place yard waste in biodegradable paper lawn bags or 32-gallon trash cans (weight must be less than 50 pounds).
- Place materials at the curb, not the alleyways.
- Place in an unobstructed area by 6 a.m.
- Do not use any plastic bags.
- Do not dump any yard waste or leaves in storm drains.
- Place pest-infested yard waste and invasive plant species in the trash cart.
Large trees and piles of branches may require special equipment and require a special collections appointment. Large, storm-related debris will be collected by the city, but may take several weeks for crews to collect throughout the city.
Report a Yard Waste Collection Concern
Complete the online form to report a missed collection or any other concerns regarding branches and yard waste.
- Branches, shrubs and pruning debris
- Flowers (remove dirt)
- Garden waste
- Grass clippings
- Live holiday trees and wreaths (removal base standards, nails, decoration, and plastic)
- Old mulch
- Stumps, sections of trees (individual limbs not to exceed 2 feet in diameter or 8 feet in length)
- Weeds (remove dirt)
- No materials in plastic bags
- No dirt, rocks, sod (place in trash)
- No pumpkins, tree fruit (place in trash)
Green Yard Tips
Save money and have a healthier yard by grasscycling, using leaves as mulch or composting.
- Yard waste collected by the city is turned into yard mulch that is available free of charge a the Montgomery County's Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station.
- Free wood and wood chips are available the city's Maintenance Facility (14625 Rothgeb Drive) for residents to cut and haul away.