City Academy is no longer accepting applications for the 2022 session. We will reopen applications in the Spring of 2023.
The City Academy offers a fresh perspective on the City of Rockville Government. The academy is designed to create an understanding of how the City of Rockville operates by putting the spotlight on specific areas and services.
This year’s Academy will be virtual with four sessions to inform and connect you with some of the people who help make your city a special place.
The City Academy will take place in the Spring of 2023. Sessions will be from 7-8:30 P.M.
Students can earn up to 10 SSL hours by attending all the sessions. More information below.
Topics will include:
- Understanding the City of Rockville government
- Housing and community services in Rockville
- Rockville development and permitting
- Community-friendly police
- Must be 16 years old or older
- Must be able to attend most sessions
Guidelines for Student Participation and SSL Hours
- Students attending all the sessions can earn up to 10 SSL hours. 6 hours are earned for attending the 4 sessions and 4 hours are earned for writing a reflection of the academy that will include a service action plan to advocate for a change within the community or spread awareness about specific community-based services provided by the City of Rockville through the creation of a flyer or poster.
- In case the student cannot participate in all the sessions, they could request SSL hours for individual attendance which will be equivalent to 1.5 SSL hours per session.
- Students under 18 years old will need to have permission from their guardians and sign a waiver that will be provided immediately after registration. Students who do not provide this waiver will not receive the link to participate.
- Students must use personal/private accounts (not MCPS student accounts) to engage in the virtual platform.
- The session will not be recorded so attendance and participation the day of the session is important to receive the SSL hours.
If you’re interested in participating and have accessibility requirements, contact our ADA coordinator at 240-314-8108.
2023 Event Schedule
The City Academy is four sessions. The sessions last no more than two hours.
|Session 1||Spring 2023||Understanding the City of Rockville Government: You will learn how the city operates, how decisions are made, and how to voice your opinion and get involved.|
|Session 2||Spring 2023||Housing and Community Development: You will learn from those who provide services to the vulnerable in our community how the city is helping individuals to maximize access to opportunities, helping families and children, affordable housing, and how you can be part of transforming lives.|
|Session 3||Spring 2023||Rockville Development and Permitting: You will learn about how the city is growing and changing, Airbnb’s, adding a new structure to your home, how to keep your community looking nice, and more.|
|Session 4||Spring 2023||Community-Friendly Police: You will learn how the Rockville City Police Department is committed to keep your community safe by providing effective, fair, impartial and unbiased community policing that serves everyone in Rockville.|