- Community Assistance
- Grant Opportunities
- Community Empowerment Matching Grant
Community Empowerment Matching Grant
Community Empowerment Grants help neighbors work together to accomplish common goals that support the overall health, vitality and inclusivity of the place they call "home." The City of Rockville offers these grants to neighbors and organizations who are willing to match funding through cash, in-kind donation and volunteer hours.
This is a competitive grant program. Applications are reviewed and awarded by the City Manager’s Office and are typically in the range of $500 to $1,000 each. Funding will benefit those who live within the Rockville city limits.
Awardees are required to complete a summary of the project outcomes, submit receipts showing proper use of funding and submit a minimum of two visual items to illustrate the project (photos, printed materials, etc.) after the project has been completed.
- November 1, 2022 - Applications open.
- January 27, 2023 - Application is due.
- February 15, 2023 - Notification to recipients.
- March 1, 2023 - Funds are available.
- December 22, 2023 - Grant recipients’ deadline to present documentation to prove usage of funds. Grant recipients’ deadline to present documentation to prove usage of funds.
Rockville, MD 20850
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The Community Empowerment Grant Program has three primary objectives. Grant applications may address any or all of the objectives and no single objective is prioritized higher than the other two for funding. The objectives are:
- Building Community: The funds may be used for programs or projects that promote the development or sustainability of a neighborhood association or community group. The funds can be used for activities that promote inclusion and diversity within the Rockville community. For example, host a "Heritage Celebration Day" in your neighborhood to celebrate the rich cultures of those who live in the community.
- Community Improvement Projects: The funds may be used to improve the shared space within a neighborhood or to strengthen community identity. Bonus points will be awarded if two or more neighborhoods/community groups work together on a project.
- Livability Initiatives: Funds may be used to provide education and outreach opportunities that strengthen the social connections in a neighborhood or between two or more community groups / neighborhoods. Funds may be used for initiatives such as increased safety, addressing a neighborhood challenge or conflict, serving low-income community members, or offering ways to welcome newcomers to Rockville.
- Neighborhood/civic/homeowner’s associations
- Community groups
- Groups of neighbors
- Student groups
The successful grant recipients must authorize one individual to manage the grant contracts and funds. Your group must consist of a minimum of five members. If your group represents an established group such as an HOA, civic association or other community group, you must provide documentation that you are applying on their behalf. All funds provided through this grant are subject to taxes.
Application deadline is January 27, 2023.
Complete the Budget WorksheetDownload the budget worksheet to estimate costs and matching funds for Neighborhood Empowerment Grant applications. Calculations in the worksheet will not work if the PDF is opened in a browser. PDF works best in Acrobat Reader.
The budget worksheet must be uploaded with the online application.
Complete the ApplicationComplete the online application with all additional materials by January 27, 2023.
Receive Award NotificationIf you are accepted and awarded the matching grant, you will be notified by February 15, 2023.
Submit DocumentationBy December 22, 2023, grant recipients must provide the following documentation to the City of Rockville:
- Receipts demonstrating the use of funding.
- Pictures documenting the project.
- A brief report outlining how and if the project met the stated goals.
- All unused funds must be returned to the City of Rockville in the form of a check made payable to “City of Rockville” with all other support documents as stated above no later than December 22, 2023.