- City Projects
- Rockville 2040: Comprehensive Plan Update
Rockville 2040: Comprehensive Plan Update
Mayor and Council Reviewing Planning Commission-Recommended Draft of the Comprehensive Plan Update
Public comments will be accepted through July 2nd
The Mayor and Council held a virtual public hearing at their meeting on April 12 and June 14, 2021 to receive comments on the City of Rockville’s draft comprehensive plan update.
After an extensive public input process and preparation of the draft plan, the Rockville Planning Commission presented its recommended draft of the comprehensive plan update to the Mayor and Council on March 15.
The Mayor and Council is now accepting comments on the draft plan and will review all comments received as part of their work session discussions and consideration of any revisions to the document. The public comment period will run until the close of business (5 p.m.) on Friday, July 2, 2021 to allow the community to give further input on the document.
The Planning Commission's recommended draft of the Comprehensive Plan is comprised of ten citywide topical Elements and seventeen neighborhood-scale Planning Areas. Both sections derive from feedback gathered throughout the Rockville 2040 process, which included numerous listening sessions, citywide forums, open houses and other meetings, as well as analysis and discussion by staff and the Planning Commission.
Review the Planning Commission's Approved Comprehensive Plan
The plan is provided below to view or download in sections due to its large file size.
How to Submit Testimony
The Mayor and Council held a public hearing on April 12 and June 14, 2021 to receive comments on the Planning Commission's recommended draft of the Comprehensive Plan. All written and oral testimony submitted as part of these public hearings are part of the public record for the Mayor and Council's consideration of the draft Comprehensive Plan.
The virtual public hearing recordings can be viewed at www.rockvillemd.gov/videoondemand.
Written comments are encouraged and may be submitted outside of the public hearing at any time to: Rockville Mayor and Council, 111 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland, 20850, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no limit to the length or amount of written testimony that can be submitted, though clarity and concise language is appreciated.
Written comments will be accepted until the close of business (5 p.m.) on Friday, July 2, 2021.
During the public comment period, planning staff is available to answer questions and meet with community associations, residents, businesses, employees, and other organizations by request so that community members can learn more about the contents of the draft Comprehensive Plan and how to provide feedback. Please contact Clark Larson at email@example.com to arrange a virtual meeting with staff.
Review Testimony Submitted to the Mayor and Council
The following testimony was received by the Mayor and Council on the Planning Commission's recommended draft of the Comprehensive Plan since the opening of the Mayor and Council public record on March 15, 2021.
- Directory of Written Testimony Received (updated June 14, 2021)
- Written Testimony Exhibits 1-10
- Written Testimony Exhibits 11-20
- Written Testimony Exhibits 21-30
- Written Testimony Exhibits 31-40
- Written Testimony Exhibits 41-50
- Written Testimony Exhibits 51-60
- Written Testimony Exhibits 61-70
- Written Testimony Exhibits 71-80
- Written Testimony Exhibits 81-88
- Public Hearing on April 12, 2021 - Meeting Recording (Agenda Item 10) | Public Hearing Transcript
- Public Hearing on June 14, 2021 - Meeting Recording (pending) | Public Hearing Transcript (pending)
Mayor and Council Work Sessions
The Mayor and Council held the following work sessions to discuss public testimony on the Planning Commission's recommended draft Rockville 2040 Comprehensive Plan.
- April 19, 2021 (Agenda Item 6) - Mayor and Council Agenda Packet | Meeting Recording
- May 3, 2021 (Agenda Item 15) - Mayor and Council Agenda Packet | Meeting Recording
- May 17, 2021 (Agenda Item 7) - Mayor and Council Agenda Packet | Meeting Recording
- May 24, 2021 (Agenda Item 5) - Mayor and Council Agenda Packet | Meeting Recording
- June 1, 2021 (Agenda Item 4) - Mayor and Council Agenda Packet | Meeting Recording
- June 7, 2021 (Agenda Item 8) - Mayor and Council Agenda Packet | Meeting Recording
- June 10, 2021 (Agenda Item 3) - Mayor and Council Agenda Packet | Meeting Recording
- June 14, 2021 - [scheduled]
- June 21, 2021 - [scheduled]
- July 6, 2021 - [scheduled]
- July 12, 2021 - [scheduled]
Review the Planning Commission's Previous Work Sessions and Received Testimony
Results from the Planning Commission's work to prepare, receive comments on, and revise the Comprehensive Plan prior to their transmittal to the Mayor and Council can be found on the Community Meeting Results page.
Join our Newsletters
Sign up to receive information about Rockville 2040, city project updates, progress and more.
What is the Comprehensive Plan?
Rockville’s Comprehensive Plan is the citywide guiding policy document that sets the vision and goals for the future of the city with practical policies and actions that will get us there. The draft Comprehensive Plan, Volume I includes recommended policies and action among ten elements, or chapters, focused on:
- Land Use and Urban Design
- Recreation and Parks
- Community Facilities
- Water Resources
- Economic Development
- Historic Preservation
- Municipal Growth
In addition to these ten policy elements, the city’s second volume focuses on policies and projects particular to each of the city’s 17 planning areas, as they are defined in the draft Comprehensive Plan.
About the Rockville 2040 Process
The Rockville 2040 community outreach process concluded with the delivery of the draft Comprehensive Plan, Volume 1: Elements, to the Planning Commission in March 2019. Rockville 2040 engaged the Rockville community in a discussion about the current state of the city and desired future on critical planning issues. The outreach included 35 listening sessions, four citywide forums, and three open houses. In addition, planning staff met with a wide variety of stakeholders and neighborhood groups. The public process and its resulting input was summarized in staff reports and presented to the Planning Commission along with the Plan draft. Once the Commission completes its review of volumes I and II of the Draft Comprehensive Plan, the entire document will be recommended for approval to the Mayor and Council for consideration of adoption.
Find Past Meetings and Materials for Rockville 2040
View videos, materials and results from past citywide forums, listening sessions, staff discussions, and the project kick-off meeting on the Meeting Results and Materials page.
View Background Trends Reports Prepared for the Comprehensive Plan Update
To understand conditions in the city as they stand today, city departments prepared trends reports in key topic areas including: Community Facilities, Economy, Environment, Historic Preservation, Housing, Land Use, and Transportation.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Call the Planning and Development Service Department at (240) 314-8200