All temporary or permanent commercial signs require a sign permit, unless specifically exempt. For signs that do not qualify for a standard permit, a Sign Variance application may be filed with the Chief of Zoning.
The following types of signs are not permitted in Rockville: flags, pennants, changeable message, flashing or blinking signs. Banners and portable signs have specific regulations.
Signs Not Requiring a Permit:
- Private residential signs limited to 150 square inches. Certain institutional uses, such as churches and nursing homes, are permitted to have larger signs, which require permits.
- Election signs are only allowed on private property and are limited to five square feet per sign.
MYGOVERNMENTONLINE Plan Submittal Requirements
Naming Convention - [house or building number] [street name] [#suite number if applicable] [name of the plans]. Example – 111marylandavenuebuildingplans or 111marylandavenue#suite200buildingplans
PDF files are strongly recommended for plans submissions. 1 file = 1 plan.
Please do not submit JPEG for plan submissions.
Plans should be submitted in black and white with no colors, to allow city staff to markup.
All drawings must be submitted in an unlocked PDF. If security settings are locked, city staff will be unable to edit, markup or approve.
Verification items such as trade licenses we can accept jpeg or tiffs image formats.
Note: There are no files size limitations for plan submission using mygovernmentonline.
Rockville, MD 20850
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review RequirementsReview the City of Rockville’s sign regulations and City Code to understand the guidelines required by the city.
- All signs must be on same premises as the business.
- Sign permits are required for refacing an existing sign.
- Blinking, flashing or moving signs are not allowed. Only churches, gas stations and movie theaters are allowed changable message signs.
- Signs should be consistent in design with other nearby commercial signs.
- Temporary "Grand Opening" banner signs are allowed with permit. Size restrictions apply.
Gather Required Documents and ApplicationComplete the application for a sign permit with the following required materials:
- One copy of drawings showing how the sign is to be displayed, indicating where it will be placed. Drawing must include sign dimensions, lettering and background colors.
- Written consent of owner(s), or the owner’s agent, granting permission for the placement of the sign.
Submit ApplicationYou can apply online and pay a $90, non-refundable application fee after the application has been approved.