- Crime & Public Safety
- Security Camera Registration
Security Camera Registration
The Rockville City Police Department is committed to its partnership with the community. The RockView program allows residents and business owners to voluntary register their privately owned video security camera systems with the RCPD.
- Registration is voluntary.
- No cost associated with registering.
- Registering does not provide the RCPD with direct access to a camera.
- Community members can opt-out at any time.
Registration in the RockView program does not enable law enforcement to view camera footage without an owner’s permission. However, the RockView program will allow city police to quickly identify security cameras that may have captured criminal activity when a crime is reported nearby. Once a camera is identified, police will contact the owner and ask if they would examine the date and time in question for potential leads in the investigation. The owner may accept or deny the request for assistance. If the owner accepts, and their equipment captured pertinent information, police would arrange a convenient way to retrieve the information.
Information provided to the RCPD about camera systems will be for official police use only. Owners’ personal information will not be distributed except as required by law or court order. Information submitted may be disclosed if requested per the Maryland Public Information Act.
The goal of the RockView program is to deter crime and promote public safety through collaboration between the RCPD and the community we serve. Accordingly, all registrants agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Any footage containing or related to criminal activity may be collected by the Rockville City Police Department for use as evidence during any stage of a criminal proceeding.
- Under no circumstances shall registrants construe that they are acting as an agent and/or employee of the City of Rockville and/or the Rockville City Police Department through the program.
- If necessary, the Rockville City Police Department will contact camera owners directly, using information provided on this website, to request the appropriate video footage.