Climate Actions and Progress
The Climate Action Plan (CAP) builds on Rockville's award-winning sustainability program to invest additional resources on creating an equitable, green, and resilient clean energy future. Since its adoption on January 10, 2022, substantial progress is already underway.
This page contains progress updates, links to major CAP-related programs, and plan development history.
- Climate Action Plan 2022 Annual Report describing progress made in the plan's first year and next steps. View the slide presentation.
- July 2022 Progress Update describing progress in the first 6 months after plan adoption.
New and Ongoing Rockville Programs
- Community Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan
- Flood Resiliency Master Plan
- Community Food Scraps Composting Drop Off
- Flood Mitigation Assistance Program
- LMI Energy Efficiency Programs
- Pedestrian Master Plan
- RainScapes Rebates
- Solar and Electric Vehicles
- Comprehensive Master Plan
How the Climate Action Plan was Developed
Community engagement was needed to develop a successful Climate Action Plan that fosters awareness and buy-in, and identifies creative opportunities to equitably reduce emissions and build community resiliency. Throughout 2020-21, we reached out to the community through online surveys, discussions with various boards and commissions, and hosting virtual open houses to identify the community’s challenges and goals and prioritize local viable strategies and actions.
- Sept. 1, 2020 to Feb. 28, 2021: Climate Action Plan Survey open. View the responses.
- Sept. 21, 2020: Presentation to the Mayor and Council on the Roadmap to Develop Rockville's Climate Action Plan.
- Engage with boards and commissions and members of the community.
- Nov. 17, 2020: Virtual Climate Action Plan Open House from 7-9 p.m. View the agenda. View the input.
- Various Dates: Virtual Climate Office Hours.
- Finalize city climate resiliency analysis.
- Consultant analyzes cost-benefit/co-benefits of actions.
Spring / Summer 2021
- Develop the Draft Climate Mitigation and Resiliency Actions List for initial feedback.
- July 22, 2021: Rockville Draft Climate Action Plan Update from 7-8:30 p.m. View the feedback.
- Develop the Draft Climate Action Plan with prior input. Plan undergoes internal review.
Fall 2021 / Winter 2021-22
- Late Oct. to Dec. 3, 2021: Draft Climate Action Plan available for public comment.
- Nov. 15, 2021: Mayor and Council reviews plan. View the slide presentation.
- Active projects and identifying funding continue concurrently.
- Jan. 10, 2022: Mayor and Council approved the plan and a city fleet resolution. View the meeting materials.