Rules & Guidelines
The Rockville Swim & Fitness Center is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable recreation experience. The following guidelines are designed to protect patrons and staff and maintain the integrity of the facility.
- The Rockville Swim & Fitness Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- There will be no refunds for inclement weather.
- Memberships are non-transferable.
- Watching requires a daily admission card or membership pass except for city-sponsored classes and programs.
- All patrons ages 1 year and older must purchase a daily admission or scan their membership card.
- Children ages 9 years and under must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- All patrons ages 6 years and older must use the appropriate locker room. Children ages 5 years and under may use the locker room of the opposite sex when accompanied by their parent or legal guardian.
- Sauna users must be at least 18 years of age.
- Individual spa users must be at least 18 years of age. Youths ages 15 to 17 are permitted in the spa if accompanied by their parent or legal guardian. Children ages 14 and under are not permitted in the spa.
- Rockville encourages all Swim & Fitness Center patrons to show respectful and responsible behavior at the facility and among other patrons.
- Individuals displaying careless, abusive, or improper conduct (such as loud and disruptive behavior, fighting, and/or the use of profanity) will be expelled.
- The following activities are prohibited from the complex: smoking, use of alcohol, use of illegal substances (persons under the influence of alcohol will be expelled).
- The following items are prohibited from the complex: bicycles, skateboards, Heelys, and glass containers.
- Cell phones may not be used in the locker rooms, bathrooms, or changing areas.
- Cameras or any other video recording device may only be used with the direct permission of the supervisor on duty.
Swimming Pool Rules
- All patrons must wear a bathing suit or swim attire.
Approved swim attire includes: 2-piece tankini, 1- or 2-piece bathing suit, swim/surf shirt, swim trunks, plastic/vinyl swim diaper AND waterproof pants, short or long swim briefs, or religious swimwear. A clean t-shirt may be worn in addition to swim attire. No undergarments may be worn. Management reserves the right to determine what constitutes approved swim attire.
- All patrons must also:
- Shower before entering any pool.
- Only enter a pool when it is officially open with a lifeguard on duty.
- Refrain from spitting, spouting water, or blowing the nose while swimming.
- Refrain from underwater swimming for distance.
- Our youngest patrons must be diapered and wear tight-fitting vinyl pants.
- Patrons with the following conditions may not swim in any pool: skin diseases, inflamed eyes, cold, nasal or ear discharge, or communicable diseases.
- The following are allowed in the Tot Pool only: toys, balls, inner tubes, floats (use during the winter months is at the discretion of the supervisor on duty).
- US Coast Guard approved life vests are the only flotation devices permitted in the pools. A parent or legal guardian must accompany and stay within arm’s reach of any patron using a life vest.
- Non-swimmers or weak swimmers must remain in shallow water no deeper than their waist.
- The outdoor complex will conduct hourly 15-minute rest periods in the summer months, in which all children ages 17 years and under must exit the pools.
Pool and Lap Swimming Etiquette
Circle swimming is the default rule for all lap lanes when there are three or more swimmers present. Lap swimmers should swim counter-clockwise, staying to the right of the lane close to the lane rope. Swimmers must swim from one end of the lane to the other without stopping in order to use a lap lane.
One or two swimmers per lane:
- Select a lane appropriate to your speed.
- Stay in one side of the lane line.
Three or more swimmers per lane:
- Select a lane appropriate to your speed.
- Swim to the right of the lane line, in a circular pattern.
- Be sure to communicate with others in the lane to begin circle swimming. Make sure to let others know when entering the lane. Sitting on the pool’s edge to get other’s attention is a helpful way to do this.
- Turn at the center of the wall to avoid collisions.
- Move to another lane if you are too slow or too fast for the lane you are in.
To pass a slower swimmer:
- Pass at the end of each lap, after tapping the foot at the swimmer in front. The swimmer being passed should wait on the right side of the lane.
- If the left side of the lane is clear, pass swimmer on the left. Be sure there are at lease five yards of clear water to the wall, before passing.
- Safe swimming is everyone’s responsibility.
- Be respectful of water-walkers and recreational users in the “open areas” of the pool.
- Use lap swim equipment (kickboards, flippers, paddles) with caution.
Fitness Center Rules
- All patrons must:
- be at least 13 years old.
- be at least 18 years old to use the fitness equipment without supervision.
- be accompanied by an adult fitness member if age 13 to 17.
- purchase a daily admission or scan their membership card upon entry.
- All patrons should:
- Limit use of equipment to 30 minutes when others are waiting.
- Return equipment to its proper place and clean machines with provided wipes after use.
- Keep cardio and strength equipment in its proper place.
- Stand away from equipment in use by others.
- Respect others in the selection of television programs.
- Wear fitness appropriate clothing (including shirts at all times) and use athletic shoes on the fitness equipment.
- The following behavior is prohibited: profanity, offensive or intimidating comments, and/or careless, abusive or improper use of equipment.
- Water in non-glass containers is allowed in the Fitness Center, but food and other drinks are prohibited.