Join Our Team: Application Process Now Open!
$6,000 Hiring Bonus for Entry-Level Applicants
$10,000 Hiring Bonus for Lateral/Certified Officers
The Rockville City Police Department continues to recruit for lateral/certified police applicants as well as entry-level police officer candidates for positions to be filled for upcoming 2023 police academy training sessions.
The Rockville City Police Department, a progressive, professional, and nationally accredited law enforcement agency, is seeking highly motivated men and women for Police Officer positions.
Rockville City Police Officers perform routine service and law enforcement work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments. Work may be performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves personal hazard work.
The Rockville City Police Department provides law enforcement-related services to approximately 70,000 residents; responsibility is shared with the Montgomery County Department of Police. City officers respond to calls for service as necessary and utilize partnerships to solve problems and to deal with issues affecting the safety and quality of life in all city neighborhoods.
- Competitive salary, signing and retention bonuses
- 12 hour permanent patrol shifts - work only 15 days a month with every other Fri, Sat & Sun off
- 4-hour minimum overtime pay for off-duty court appearances
- Take Home Car Program - up to 35 air miles from city limits
- Multilingual Pay Stipend - $3,120 annually
- Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement - up to $3,000 annually
- Pay differential for evening/midnight shifts
- Equipment & Uniform Allowance: In addition to initial issue, officers are allotted a $950 yearly uniform allowance
- Department Issued Work Cellphone
- Free Uniform Dry Cleaning & Alterations
- Department On-site Gym & Fitness Center
- 25-Year Pension & Roth 457 Retirement Plans
- Promotional opportunities
- Annual and sick leave
- 12 paid city holidays
- 15 days paid Military Leave
- Group Health & Life Insurance
- Annual Performance Evaluation Merit Increase*
- Annual Cost of Living Pay Adjustment*
*Annual Merit and COLA increases are based on budget approval by the Mayor and Council.
|Lateral or Certified Police Officers*||$70,036|
*Lateral/Certified Police Officers
Lateral/Certified Police Officers that meet the Maryland Police Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) Standards will be hired at a salary of $70,036 and must have at least 2-years of full time consecutive law enforcement experience.
- $6,000 hiring bonus for entry level police officers
- $10,000 hiring bonus for lateral police officers
To be considered for employment for a police officer position, you must be able to meet the following standards:
- Be a U.S. Citizen; or, a permanent legal resident of the U.S and an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who has applied to obtain U.S. citizenship and the application is still pending approval.
- Possess at least a high school diploma, or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate recognized by the State of Maryland.
- Be age 21 at the time of your graduation from the police academy.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Be able to pass a written police examination.
- Possess good moral character to withstand an in-depth background investigation, including polygraph examination, psychological evaluation, medical examination, and drug screen.
- Ability to obtain and maintain minimum requirements of the Maryland Police Training Commission.
Applicants may be disqualified from the process, at any time, for any of the reasons listed below. this list is not all-inclusive - possible reasons for disqualifications are:
- Poor work history.
- Poor driving record.
- Felony conviction or misdemeanor conviction carrying a sentence of imprisonment for one year.
- Illegal drug use, purchase, sale, distribution.
- Falsification of any application documents.
- Inability to complete COMAR requirements set forth in the selection process.
- Any other disqualifying factors as determined by the Chief of Police.
Complete the Online Application
The application process for entry level police officers and Lateral/Certified police officers is ongoing. Applications must be fully completed and filed by the posted online closing date.
The Confidential Questionnaire must be included with the application.
Written Examination for Entry Level Applicants
After completing the online applications, entry level applicants who are selected will be notified of a date and time for the written examination. The day of examination, you will be required to bring a valid state driver’s license and a second form of identification, such as a birth certificate or social security card.
The written examination is by invitation only and you must receive a score of 70% or higher to pass the exam. Applicants who pass the initial screening phase for minimum qualification will be invited to attend.
Physical Agility Test
A standard physical agility test will be administered to all applicants - both entry level and lateral. You must receive a minimum passing score in each category to successfully pass this physical fitness test as required by the Maryland Police Training Commission.
- Climb over a barrier
- Pull/drag a 150lb rescue doll at least 15 feet
- Run a distance of at least 300 feet
- Traverse up/down at least two flights of steps
Interview and Background Check
Selected candidates will be invited to interview with a selection panel. You must submit to a complete background check.
Applicants will be required to undergo a medical examination, drug screening, polygraph examination and psychological screening. All screenings are scheduled separately.
The final step will be an interview with the Police Chief. He will evaluate performance and fit with the team.
Offer of Employment
Contingent offer of employment will be presented upon completion of the employment testing including: medical and physical screening, drug screening, psychological evaluation and polygraph test.
Training and Probationary Period
The police officer position has a 12-month probationary period effective the date of successful completion of all mandated police training.
Entry Level Police Officer Candidates:
- Maryland Entry Level Police Training Academy
- 14-week Field Training Program
Lateral/Certified Police Officers:
- 4-Week Comparative Compliance Training Academy (Out-of-State Laterals Only)
- 80-hour Field Training Program