- Recycling, Trash & Yard Waste
Recycling, Trash and Yard Waste
Yard Waste Delays: What the City Is Doing and What You Can Do to Help
The City of Rockville is taking additional action to address persistent delays in yard waste collections due to severe staffing shortages.
The city will collect yard waste on Saturdays in all areas, citywide, that were missed throughout the week. If your yard waste was not collected during the week, please leave it at the curb by 6 a.m. Saturday for collection.
Collection delays are expected to continue throughout the summer. Many jurisdictions, both regionally and nationally, are confronting this challenge as the solid waste industry faces a severe shortage of operators with commercial driver’s licenses. Rockville understands the importance of routine yard waste collections and is making every effort to provide this weekly service.
Here’s how you can help:
- If your yard waste is not collected on your normal collection day, please leave it at the curb until a crew returns on Saturday.
- Consider lightening your yard waste load by grasscycling, which leaves grass clippings on the lawn as an easy fertilizer.
- Slow down to get around. Take extra care when operating a vehicle near workers. Slow down when driving near or passing recycling and trash trucks and other utility vehicles.
- Please remember that the crews staffing collection trucks are doing their best. Their work is physically demanding and complicated by summer heat, storms and equipment failures. Please be patient.
- Stay in the know. For more information about city recycling, trash, yard waste and special collections, please check this page, Rockville Reports, or our social media accounts.
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. The city is recruiting sanitation workers and making every effort to bring staffing levels back to where we can once again resume regularly scheduled collections. To learn how to join our team, visit www.rockvillemd.gov/careers.
Rockville provides once-per-week curbside recycling, trash and yard waste collections for single-family homes and most townhouses within city limits. Businesses, apartments and condominiums are not serviced by the City of Rockville and must comply with Montgomery County requirements.
Customers may request special collections of bulk refuse, metal and electronics recycling, household hazardous waste by appointment only.
Trash and recycling billing is automatically added to the resident's Montgomery County property tax bill.
Tips on Waste Collection:
- Not all Rockville addresses are serviced by the city. Check the address map to see if the city provides your service.
- Have your carts out by 6 a.m. and removed by the next day.
- Make sure your cart is not blocking mailboxes, lids are closed and wheels are to the curb.
- Plastic bags go into the gray trash cart. Plastic bags can be recycled in nearby grocery stores.
- Construction/contractor debris must be taken to the Montgomery County Transfer Station.
- Recycling is placed in the brown carts.
- Yard waste is collected at the curb only, not alleyways.
- Animal disposal is collected by emailing Animal Control or call 240-314-8930.
- Explosives and ammunition is collected by emailing Police or call 240-314-8900.
There are a number of reasons why your recycling, trash or yard waste may have been missed.
- Special Holiday: During holiday weeks, collection could be delayed by one day depending on your pickup day. Check the holiday collection schedule.
- Unaccepted Items: If items are in the recycling or trash carts that are not accepted by the city the waste will not be collected.
- Cart exceeded the limit: The maximum allowable weight is 165 pounds and the lid must be able to close.
Back Door Collections
Residents who are either temporarily or permanently unable to move their carts to the curb can apply for back door service. Residents must re-apply for this service each year.
The city offers pickup for metal, electronics, bulk and hazardous materials by appointment only.
Large trees and piles of branches are not collected with yard waste and require a special collections appointment.