Water Main Flushing
Rockville has a systematic flushing program to remove accumulated sediment from the water system. The city is divided into 39 districts and undergo water main flushing in cycles.
Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
2022 Scheduled Districts
- Week of May 2: District 5
- Week of May 9: District 6
- Week of May 23: District 7
- Week of June 6: District 8
- Week of June 13: District 9
- Week of June 20: District 34
- Week of June 27: District 10
- Week of July 11: District 11
- Week of July 18: District 12
- Week of July 25: District 13
- Week of August 1: District 14
- Week of August 8: District 15
- Week of August 15: District 16
- Week of August 22: District 39
- Week of September 5: District 17
- Week of September 12: District 18
- Week of September 19: District 38
- Week of October 10: District 19
- Week of October 17: District 20
Some parking restrictions may occur to allow access to water valves. As flushing takes place, some temporary discoloration and low water pressure may occur.
Repairs, disruptions and maintenance to water mains may cause your water to be discolored.
If you experience discoloration, run the cold water until the water runs clear. These conditions are temporary and should clear up within 2-3 hours.
Water Main Flushing Process
The city removes the chlorine from the water prior to discharge to safeguard the environment.
- Approximately 180 miles of water pipes.
- 4,168 valves.
- 1,363 fire hydrants.
The sediment, which can cause water discoloration, degrade water quality and impede fire hydrant water flow, is removed from the pipes by the planned opening and closing of certain valves, as well as the opening of fire hydrants.
The City of Rockville is committed to providing the best possible services to customers. This work is part of ongoing efforts to improve water quality and delivery citywide.
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2022
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2021
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2020
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2019
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2018
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2017
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2016
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2015
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2014
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2013