Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing
Work requiring a permit:
Electrical (excluding plugged appliances)
- Heavy-up electrical service.
- Adding new electrical fixtures and outlets.
- Adding new electrical appliances.
- Installing baseboard or other electric heating sources Installing exhaust fans and attic fans.
- Adding, replacing or relocating plumbing fixtures.
- Repairing or replacing water lines Repairing or replacing sewer lines.
- Any changes in fixture piping Installation or replacement of water heaters.
- Installing or replacing a furnace.
- Installing or replacing an air conditioning unit.
- Adding, replacing or relocating ducts, diffusers or grilles.
Electronic Submission of Commercial Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical Applications
The City of Rockville Planning and Development Services has temporarily allowed for the submittal and review of commercial electrical, mechanical and plumbing applications while City Hall is shutdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Note: we will accept electronic applications only while City Hall is shutdown. We will return to standard practice once the state of emergency has been lifted and operations return to normal.
To submit electronic applications, please email email@example.com with your completed application, plans and supporting documents. Each item should be a separate .pdf file. File names should reflect the content of the file (Applications, Plans, etc).
You can apply and pay for stand-alone residential electrical, mechanical, plumbing permits online. Occupancy permits can be obtained online. Commercial work needs to have a paper application.
Permits and Inspections
Rockville, MD 20850
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.